Sunday, October 19, 2008

Cambridge Cooks: Squashin' Good Time Cambridge Cooks: Squashin' Good Time


Photos: Debra Pearlman
My niece-in-law Sarah, her sister Stacy, brother-in-law and chef Brian, her mom, and I keep in touch through a food blog. As I've been a bit overwhelmed with work lately, I have stolen the following post from Sarah, but you can visit the original and see all the great recipes and tips by going to Attach of the Killer Zucchini blog.

So here's to family, food, photos, and being able to steal their good ideas....Thanks Sarah.


Recently I wanted to make a quick bite, something that would use up some yellow squash I had and wouldn't take forever to make.

I found a zucchini recipe in Alice Waters' "The Art of Simple Food", which happened to already be open and on my kitchen counter when the hunger struck. It called for five ingredients - zucchini, garlic, oil, salt and marjoram (which we grow in our garden and I never remember to use). The most difficult thing to do in the whole recipe was grate the squash. I substituted the yellow squash for the green zukes and 15 minutes later I was enjoying the dish. You sprinkle the squash with salt in a colander and let it sit for 10 minutes, so most of that was waiting time.



Grated Yellow Squash with Marjoram (adapted from Alice Water's "The Art of Simple Food", her recipe is Grated Zucchini with Marjoram)

WHAT YOU NEED:

2 yellow summer squash
1 clove garlic
1-2 tbsp. olive oil
salt
marjoram

WHAT YOU DO:


1. Grate the squash into a colander and sprinkle with salt. Let it sit for 10 minutes, then press to remove excess water.

2. Use a mortar and pestle or food processor to turn the garlic into a paste. In a bowl, mix squash, garlic paste and as much oil as you feel the dish needs.

3. Heat a saute pan on medium, then transfer the mixture into it. Saute until cooked, about 5 minutes.

4. Turn off the heat and mix in a tablespoon or so of marjoram leaves. Add salt, if needed.

Serve.

TIPS FROM THE COOK:


It worked out pretty well. In retrospect I would probably have used less garlic (I used two cloves and I think the recipe only called for one) and sauteed it with the squash instead of turning the cloves into a paste and mixing it in raw.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home