Monday, October 15, 2007

Photographer's Log Photographer's Log

If you have missed “Photographers Log” lately, it is because, June Mohan-- the artist and author responsible for this thread-- has had to step down for a while to take care of some health concerns. Let’s send June our well wishes that she can come back soon to again grace this journal with her photos and prose.

In the meantime, I will keep the thread going with my own version of the log. Hope you enjoy.


(Photo: Copyright 2007 John Carlson)

A Steeple Reclaimed

Over the past months I have watched with fascination the renovation of the steeple on the Cambridge United Presbyterian Church, here on Main Street. It got me thinking about all kinds of structural issues, like leverage, wind sheer and how the heck do you fix something like that anyway! It has been an ongoing education.

A tip of the hat, not only to the workers who are risking their lives to help save one of our architectural landmarks, but to the citizens of the church and the town, those who donated money to keep this view of our Cambridge intact.

Today, as a belayed steeple-jack puts some of the finishing touches on the project- the bright copper flashing on the seams- I was inspired to make this photograph and to share it here on the CambridgeBuzz.

I hope you get out there in the next few days and gaze upwards at this rather remarkable team of people as they finish securing the structure of one of the wonders of our skyline, for generations to enjoy.

To contact me, send your email to: jdcarlson2001@yahoo.com Thanks.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

June- I have wondered what had happened to Photographers Log, it is one of my favorite features of this most wonderful, informative and entertaining blog I look to on the Internet.

Get well soon!

John- BTW, love your photos too!

1:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Dear Anonymous,
I love John's photos very much also :)
Thank you for your kind words and well-wishes. I hope to be back shooting, writing and publishing very soon.
I am also very grateful to John, for holding my spot for me, although it will be interesting to view his works and read his musings.
Thanks, again, Anonymous. I needed the "good medicine".
God Bless You.
JWM

12:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home