Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Where Can I Find That? - Week 4 Where Can I Find That? - Week 4


Photos composit: Debra Pearlman

This week we had a couple of tough questions. We reached out to friends, the phone book and the area Chambers websites. If you offer any of the services requested below - send us an e-mail at tvobv@nyacap.rr.com or eaglenews@gmail.com or drop us a note.

Hi,
I'm a reader from Vermont and I am looking for someone who repairs clocks, within Cambridge, Greenwich or Salem if possible.

Thank you in advance.

Sincerely,
VT Reader

Dear Vermont Reader,
Bob Geiser on Route 22 is your local clock repairman. Bob has been repairing clocks for 45 years and 19 of them in the Battenkill Valley and is the go to guy for the area antique dealers. Bob is available by appointment at 518-677-3414.

As a side note: There were no clock repair/service listings in the phone book or on the area Chambers websites. Where Can I Find That found Bob via a friend - by just asking!

Dear WCIFT,

I have some old fabrics that I have been collecting over the years. I would like to make them into curtains and pillows. Can you help me find a seamstress or someone that sews?

Thanks Nancy C

Dear Nancy,

I have always admired old fabrics and wished that I had paid attention in home economics so that I could purchase fabric and create something special. Luckily for us there are people out there that sew very well.

Terry Teitelbaum of Cambridge is a great starting point. Terry is a graduate of FIT and Pratt Institute. She has been sewing and decorating for 35 years and specializes in slipcovers and curtains. She can be reached at 518-677-3073. I would also try the folks at Blind Buck in Salem - they sell fabric and also offer decorating services.

Dear Where Can I Find That,

I would like to find a holiday gift for teens that do not come from a big box store.
Thanks.

We had a similar question our first week and suggested a gift certificate - which can be impersonal, but allows for the teen to shop local and select something for themselves. Since week one I have been checking out the local teen scene. Girls seem to like the fingerless gloves, big scarves, jewelry, and purses. In Cambridge I would stop at The Valley Artisans Market and the Village Store, BellaVino at the Rice Mansion, Over the Moon Beads and Gifts, and O'Hearns Pharmacy. In Greenwich Just Because is a great stop for you and the teen on your list, The Shoppe Keeper and the Needle Works. Pennywise is a terrific consignment shop with some new items and loads of jewelry. In Salem I would venture into The Artisans' Guild, Jackson Traders and stop at Steininger's for some self indulgence.

Most importantly as you stroll the Main Streets of the Battenkill Valley remember that your purchase supports your local business, a percentage of the tax collected comes back to your community and most importantly you are creating a vibrant Main Street. More about boys and local next week.

SHOP LOCAL

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home