Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Cambridge Life 5/16/07 Cambridge Life 5/16/07



I'm sending you this Cambridge, NY Life posting from beautiful Missoula, MT. I'm out here at the International Wildlife Film Festival (IWFF) reconnecting with old friends and "pitching" films.

You may be wondering what is "pitching?" Well, it's industry buzz for networking and selling your film idea to the people with the money to get the film made and on television or into theaters. As a producer, it's one of the most important parts of the job because if they don't "show me the money," I can't show you the film.

The festival is great fun. I get to watch some of the most beautifully made films, projected in a theater (even if they were made for television), attend lots of workshops and talks about what the trends are, who's doing what, etc., and wildlife people really know how to party! Evenings are fun events with good food, great beer (Missoula's own Moose Drool is my favorite) and dancing into the night. Wildlife folks work hard and party harder!

Being a filmmaker, I get to go to beautiful, sometimes exotic places with interesting people. If you want to know more or have something to say about film making (wildlife or otherwise) fell free to post comment. I'd be happy to hear what you think about film biz today.

Anyway, much as I love Missoula and the beauty of the Rockies, I can't wait to get back home.