Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Reflections on Memorial Day Reflections on Memorial Day


(photo c: John Carlson 2007)

It always humbles me to see our town turn out to honor those lost in the many wars this country has fought over the years. Wars to maintain our freedom and the security of the world.

Our soldiers great sacrifices reminds me not to take for granted what we have. Makes me remember our need to defend our Constitution and the rule of law so that they may not have died in vain.

I come back home and I read our Constitution (been a while), and I study the events of our times. If I wasn't so distracted by the need to earn a living, to pay my taxes, to feed my family, I might for a moment realize it is time to take a stand once again.

May the greatest values of America awaken in us all, to protect that which so many have died for.

1 Comments:

Blogger Charlene said...

It doesn't take much to "take a stand" and help out ones country. Yes, we have busy lives, but that is no excuse. Make the time or else it may all be taken away from you one day. I've been involved with political and peace activism since February 2003. I'm so glad I did ... involved in many groups, meeting wonderful people, talking to our government representatives, volunteering, etc. Its been an amazing journey, learning curve and its not over yet. As Gandhi once said ... be the change.

11:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home