Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Where Can I Find That:: #5 Last Minute Shopping Ideas Where Can I Find That:: #5 Last Minute Shopping Ideas


Logo design by Debra Pearlman of Pearl Productions LLC

Where Can I Find That,

First of all, I really like the Where Can I Find That feature and hope you continue it beyond the holiday season. It is a really great resource of information and gets me thinking about more ways to stay local & shop local.

Two questions for you.

1) I have a pile of gently used items (a mixture of house wares and clothing no longer in favor but gently worn) that I'd like to donate to something like the Salvation Army. What local organizations will accept donations and what can I do to schedule a drop off?

Are you a local not for profit organization that would like to receive items from Jayme and other readers? If so please let us know at tvobv@nycap.rr.com or eaglenews@gmail.com

2) I have a large collection of family photos I'd like to have preserved digitally (scanned and burned to DVD). Are there any local businesses that would be up to that task? As the photo collection is one of a kind and has great sentimental value, I am reluctant to ship it anywhere for processing.

thanks,
Jayme

Dear Jayme,
I have to put this one out to the readers because I was unsuccessful in my attempts to find someone local who can do this for you.
**********************************************
Dear WCIFT,

With the economy the way it is, I'm going to repair, resole, and polish the shoes I do have to make them last longer. Is there a good cobbler in the area?
Signed - sole sister

Dear Sole Sister,
I remember this really great pair of red boots I had, wore heels down to their substructure…The closest shoe repair facilities I was able to find are located in Bennington, VT. Marras Shoe Service (802) 442-8464 and Kings Shoe Service- (802) 447-0606
*********************************************
Dear Where Can I Find That,
My Grandmother is 83 years old and has suggested that we not get her anything for Christmas, but no matter if you 8 or 80 getting a present from under the tree is joyful. However, purchasing something for my 83 year Grandmother, who has everything….please do you have any suggestions?

Thank You.

Dear GMA 83,
My husband's Grandma was especially difficult to buy for so I know what you are going through. Luckily, there are a great many options in the Battenkill Valley for all ages. If she likes chocolate, a nice box of truffles from Steinengers in Salem is sure to please her and if not a bonus for you! If she is a reader, a nice book from Battenkill Books in Cambridge or The Union Village Store in Greenwich can make a nice gift. My husband's Grandma loved puzzles and Mt. Nebo Gallery has beautiful Will Moses artwork puzzles. If she is a collector, stop into – Cambridge Antiques, Jacks Out Back and 30B in Cambridge, all carry a variety of antiques as does McCartee’s Barn in Salem. Deluge Stained Glass and Gifts has beautiful stained glass bird feeders and I would try Jackson Traders and The Shoppe Keeper as well.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Debra Pearlman said...

Jamye,

If you're looking to have your photos scanned and put on a DVD, contact me at debra@pearlproductionsllc.com. Maybe we can work out a price that fits your budget.

1:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Grandparents who are homebound often enjoy gifts such as a portion of their cable tv bill being paid. Also, because many of our grandparents are on a fixed income we tend to buy pracitical gifts such as gift certificates to IGA or Stevens & Sons. This year many of our relatives are receiving gift certificates to Eagle Bridge Custom Meats.

10:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know that my grandparents really appreciate the snow shoveling and sidewalk clearing that we give them each year! Little things mean so much to our elders. We often forget that these can make the best gifts.

12:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home