Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Photographer's Log Photographer's Log


A Patch of Blue
My pictures are out of sequence for the season lately, but who wants to be predictable, anyway?

Last spring I heard birds calling from the crab apple tree outside my office window. When I looked out I saw the most amazingly brilliant patch of blue amongst the pink and white apple blossoms. As I hungrily watched to finally be able to see what creature God had made so beautifully blue it flitted around and about within the sanctuary of the thickly covered branches for many minutes. Finally, it came to an outside branch, resting from it’s feeding on the delicious apple buds.

This little bird was so beautiful it took my breath away. Delicate and perfect, it seemed to be showing itself off to me as I took one photograph after another. Not seeming to be afraid of me or my clicking shutter it stayed mostly on the outer branches of the tree as it ate.

It was suddenly joined by three more of it’s kind and I spent the next 15 minutes engrossed in photographing them all. They kept showing up nearly every morning for a week or so and then, to my sorrow, seemed to have completely disappeared..
I don’t know what kind of bird this is. Some have told me Indigo Blue Bunting, others have mentioned Blue Bird. I always thought the little blue birds with the rosey chests were blue birds, but I may be mistaken.

If anyone knows what species this bird is please let me know either in the comments section of this article or by email. Please put “A Patch Of Blue” in the subject line so I won’t accidentally delete it thinking it is junk mail. -June Mohan
Photos: (Copyright Mohan 2006) To contact the artist, please send email to: junemohan@hotmail.com.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great photo, the sense of light that you captured is stunning. THanks for sharing your work and your story.

3:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The bird in photo is an indigo bunting!

6:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home